- CEO’s Weekly Newsletter
- 09 Nov 2020
Global Work From Home Trends - 09 Nov 2020
Global Work From Home Trends
09 Nov 2020
Based on the requests we have received from several recruiters and HR professionals across the globe.
- Global Work From Home Trends
- Recruiter Cheat Sheet to map the different types of data scientists
Global Work From Home Trends
- In the USA, most companies are inclined towards remote work or hybrid remote workforces, an increase in freelancers’ use, and growing reliance on artificial intelligence and machine learning tools to manage the workforce and other key functions.
- Before COVID-19, only 5% of U.S. employees worked remotely most of the time, representing approximately 7.6M workers. When including those who worked remotely at least part-time, the total percentage increased to 24%, representing 36.5M of the total 152M employed in early 2020. Post-Covid, these figures have shifted currently to 60-65% of employees currently working remotely full-time.
- Over the last two months, Companies are hiring executives to lead the virtual work experience. Some tech companies are carving out new jobs for executives to act as advocates for virtual workers and think more broadly about a lasting remote future. E.g., Facebook recruiting for “Director, Remote Work.”
- 86% of companies now have a policy to deal with coronavirus-related absences.
- Till this month, 85% of U.S. companies are ‘hybrid, allowing’ meaning they are allowed some form of work from home.
Specific Examples of Companies remote work policy
- Ford recently announced that an estimated 32,000 Ford employees throughout North America would remain working from home through June 2021.
- Capital One Financial Corporation has announced that most of its employees in its U.S. call centers will be allowed to work from home permanently.
- Indeed has recently allowed 10,000 employees to remain remote until July 2021. The company also announced the possibility of making the arrangement more permanent on a case-by-case basis.
- American Express extended its temporary remote work policy until June 30, 2021. The company is still reopening its offices in phases — the announcement allows employees to keep working from home.
- Google extended its work-from-home policy by a year to summer 2021 and planned to accommodate remote work indefinitely.
- Microsoft will now allow employees to work from home freely for less than 50% of their working week or for managers to approve permanent remote work. Employees who opt for the permanent remote work option will give up their assigned office space but still have options to use touchdown space available at Microsoft’s offices
- Facebook predicts half of its employees could be remote within a decade.
- Google is exploring flexible hybrid models of in-person and remote work after an internal survey shows 62% of employees want to come back to work in the office for just some days.
EMEA and other Regions
- In Europe, several companies adopt various models to keep their business running by inculcating Fully Remote, Hybrid Remote, Hybrid Remote by exception, and On-site. Over the last month, Middle Eastern countries have made some visa changes to keep their business up and running.
- In Italy, UniCredit SpA plans to have 40% of work done remotely after the crisis.
- Switzerland’s UBS Group AG estimates that employees could work from home about a third of the time.
- Spotify declared worldwide that employees might continue working from home until 2021. Each office will open as per the city-by-city government guidelines.
- As of October 2020, Germany will publish a draft law-making working from home a legal right. Facebook, Microsoft, and Twitter are among companies overhauling their remote-working policy.
- As of last month, Ireland is in a process to draft guidelines for remote working by following public consultation
- France relies on a 2017 law that limits the extent to which employees are obliged to answer phone calls and emails outside the office.
- Spain is regulating that Remote Work Employers will need to formalize remote work arrangements in writing, adhering to the specific requirements of the new Royal Decree-Law
- Over the last month In U.K., the number of people working exclusively from home increased from 21% to 24%
- Over the last two months, Bahrain firms have reported has the highest rate of remote work plans at 38% as followed by Qatar, UAE, and Kuwait at 37% each.
- In Saudi Arabia, 30% of firms indicated plans for working from home, while businesses in Oman registered the region’s lowest possible remote work rate at just 18%.
- Dubai has launched a Virtual Working Program for foreign professionals this month, allowing foreign professionals, entrepreneurs, and business owners to remotely work for up to one year. The minimum salary must be $5000 per month to qualify for the program. According to the Government of Dubai, the new visa will allow remote workers and their families the chance to relocate on an annual basis to the Emirate while continuing to work virtually for companies all over the world.
- With nearly 45 % of South Africans working from home since March, companies across the board are reevaluating the need for office space now.
- Over the last month, in one the survey’s conducted last month in South Africa’s largest workplace consultancies, 33% of South African’s indicate that a slow or unreliable internet connection is an obstacle to working from home.
- Last month a recent survey in one of South Africa’ largest workplace consultancies revealed that 86% of people wanted to go back to working in an office. While remote work was initially very popular, many people slowly realized that there was a lack of work life balance.
- Companies are reconsidering their long-term office plan in post Covid. Only 6% of sub-Saharan African are in occupations that allow home-based work.
Recruiter Cheat Sheet – Different variations of Data Scientist
Recruiters hear different versions of the term Data Scientists. The variations can be confusing. So we have created a broad cheat sheet on this. This is an initial guideline and we can create these type of aids. Towards the end of the year, we are going live with a feature called – Recruiter Time Saver (RTS). This will house several such aids
Read more newslettersView All
How to improve Recruiters and Business leaders working together when it comes to Digital tech hiring?
What is Workforce Quality & Recruiter Cheat Sheet for DevOps