In my client conversations , I sensed more optimism and enthusiasm to work on several projects. Most of the discussions this week were around major topics of Strategic Workforce Planning, Digital Candidate Engagement, and Skills assessment to support Digital Transformation. But what is fascinating is the specific topic discussed under each major area was unique, and I am delighted to bring the same to you. Let us look at some exciting aspects across each one of these areas.
Several companies are looking at the retirement pipeline closely. In some companies, HR leaders are also expecting that there will be early retirement possibilities in post Covid19 world. As a result, several companies are planning to look at Technical and Functional skills that may be leaving the enterprise and start thinking around replacement plan. It may be beneficial for organizations to look at this impacted competencies and have an optimal idea around the same. We are helping several organizations around the same.
In one of the previous emails, I had mentioned that developing the 2 to 3-year roadmap will be very critical in post covid19 world. Expanding on this, we propose that you undertake identifying and grouping competencies across three major areas (High Priority Competencies, Medium Priority Competencies, and Forward-Looking Competencies).
Both High priority competencies and Medium priority competencies are generated through internal playbooks based on current priorities, while forward-looking skills are modeled based on competition and industry trends. This framework gives you a compelling ability to analyze your existing footprint of locations and also develop a reskilling plan.
Developing such a targeted plan can then subsequently be stored in your HCM systems and provide you a compelling library. We can conduct the starting analysis through the analysis of public resumes, and later a survey could be launched to edit the profile developed. Or we can share our methodologies, and your analysts can do this as well
As part of this exercise, you may develop a simple construct around your existing locations. Many of the enterprise locations evolve over a period, and narratives of how companies use that location is no longer consistent with market trends
- Dallas is primarily known as IT hub now has right talent in Digital Marketing, Software Product Development, F&A, and other Corporate Functions
- Ann Arbor known mainly for technical support center 5 to 8 years back has right Cybersecurity talent now
- Boise – Idaho is now a reasonable Software R&D hub (small-sized still)
- Provo – Utah mostly a data entry hub now has some software talent
Like this, your location could be changing or could have changed. Studying this aspect is very crucial
We are conducting some more in-depth studies on how Historically Black Colleges and Universities are performing. Specifically, HBCUs are generating around 1000 computer science graduates a year. Big Enterprises have done a reasonable job attracting this talent. Our informal survey shows that alumni from these schools are doing incredible work in tech companies. This talent pool is not tapped well by enterprise companies typically so we want to bring this to your attention
Digital Candidate Engagement is one area that is emerging fast, and we are monitoring this closely
Hiring organizations are adapting to the “Remote Totality” phenomenon, where the entire hiring cycle is expected to be completed through remote initiatives.
- Video Conferencing Interviews are typically set-up during Early working hours of the day. Also, Insisting on a video Interview gives a clear understanding of the candidate’s infrastructure availability, their commitment to remote working, work philosophy, and future Output.
- Recent Offer Rollouts also includes additional provisions relevant to the current situation in addition to standard salary and benefits such as a paid subscription to a new wellness app, or complimentary meal/grocery delivery services.
- Virtual Induction of new employees through informal online conversations with other team members, Remote buddy system, and shadow learning is practical, proven methods adopted across the industries.
We will be publishing a paper on this very soon
Overall, we are quite excited about the role HR can play under the emerging circumstances. If we plan the initiatives correctly, we can accelerate transformation and adaptation and make our enterprises that we genuinely care for, a great place to work.