Latest Industry Insights from Draup Braindesk
Aerospace companies investing in lightweight and fuel-efficient new-generation aircraft in efforts to reduce greenhouse emissions and boost growth.
- Rolls-Royce Germany will leverage artificial intelligence (A.I.) in a partnership with Altair for its engineering, testing, and design of aerospace engines to reduce and accelerate certification and design iterations, reduce extensive physical testing, and improve product quality.
- Raytheon Intelligence & Space launched a new hardware emulation and software analysis tool called DejaVM that provides a virtualized environment to evaluate and reduce cyber threats against mission-critical systems in a modern networked space.
Collaborations and other initiatives across companies are focused on the development of next-generation satellites.
- The British government and Bharti Global acquired ‘OneWeb,’ a mega constellation startup for USD 1 Bn to develop U.K.’s navigation system.
- BAE Systems signed a contract with U.S. Space Force to design and manufacture an advanced military GPS receiver with very high security.
- Broadcom has integrated Google’s 3D mapping aided corrections into its dual-frequency GNSS chip for better dense urban sidewalks navigation.
The increasing demand for aerospace engineering and its services is due to the increased demand to replace the aging and outdated aircraft.
- Tata Boeing Aerospace Limited, a joint venture between the Tata Group and Boeing, announced its project to manufacture complex vertical fin structures for the 737 family of airplanes. The new production line will utilize cutting-edge robotics and automation in the engineering and manufacturing process.
- 3M announced a partnership with Safran Cabin to leverage strong research expertise to develop a cleaner aircraft cabin interior solution for a comfortable travel experience.
- Thai Airways, in partnership with Airbus, invested in the use of drones, robots, and predictive maintenance technologies to create new maintenance, repair, and overhaul hub at U-Tapao Airport.
Latest Reports Published in Draup
Key Funding Alert
Firefly Aerospace raises USD 175 Mn via Series-A funding round, secondary sale
The financing comes as Firefly prepares for a maiden flight of its Alpha rocket in June. In February, the Texas-based launch services startup received a contract from General Atomics to launch a satellite carrying NASA’s Multi-Angle Imager for Aerosols instrument. Read More>>
Company – Dufour Aerospace
HQ Location – Bern Area, Switzerland
Total Funding – USD 10.99 Mn
About: Dufour makes hybrid-electric vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft and electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft for fast and clean Urban Air Mobility (UAM) operations. Dufour’s goal is to manufacture and sell hybrid-electric and electric tilt-wing VTOL aircraft. Read More>>
Key Insights and Signals in Draup
Mergers and Acquisition
Spirit AeroSystems expands again with new MRO acquisition, growing capabilities for customers
The acquisition expands Spirit’s existing MRO infrastructure in the region with the addition of Applied Aerodynamics’ expertise, workforce, defense scope of work, and 120,000-square-foot facility. Now, fleet operators can consolidate vendors, which helps to streamline communication efforts, reduce administrative costs, and increase efficiencies. Read More>>
Rafael is in the process of acquiring a bankrupt German drone manufacturer
Israeli arms manufacturer Rafael wants to take over the Bavaria-based troubled drone manufacturer EMT, Handelsblatt. Read More>>
MTU Aero, Safran JV to cooperate With ITP Aero on engine development
The engine will power the next-generation fighter aircraft. The company said its collaboration with Safran Aircraft Engines would occur as part of a joint venture it established with the company named EUMET. Read More>>
Airbus to increase production and validation efficiency using Ericsson Technology
The secure solution from Ericsson features a 4G private network that is also 5G ready and includes a robust and redundant core network connected to radio solutions running on mid-band 700 MHz, 2600MHz TDD. Read More>>
Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and Group 42 create Presight AI
Rafael Advanced Defense Systems signed an agreement to create a new joint venture with Group 42 to develop commercial artificial intelligence (A.I.) and big data technologies. Read More>>
Airbus taps Luminar to test how lidar could be used to make flying safer and autonomous
Airbus’ UpNext subsidiary is focused on developing and eventually applying new technological breakthroughs to aviation. The effort will be folded into Airbus Flightlab, an ecosystem that offers access to flight test platforms across Airbus business lines, including commercial aircraft, helicopters, defense, and space. Read More>>
Deal and Deal Renewals
Inmarsat, Honeywell partner to deliver innovative Satcom solutions to the U.S. Government
Honeywell and Inmarsat will develop and deliver innovative commercial satellite communications solutions to the U.S. government. The solutions will be focused on fixed-wing and non-fixed-wing aeronautical platforms operating worldwide, including in Arctic regions. Read More>>
Northrop Grumman in the U.K. and Intrepid Minds receive Project MOSQUITO Phase 2 contract
The companies will design and manufacture a prototype of the U.K.’s first uncrewed fighter aircraft. Phase 2 centers on rapidly maturing the designs and manufacture of a working technology demonstrator to generate evidence for a follow-on program. Read More>>
Hensoldt gets AESA radar contract for Quadriga Eurofighters
Hensoldt has been awarded a roughly USD 241 Mn contract to produce active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars for the German air forces 38 Project Quadriga Eurofighters. It will improve the survivability of the aircraft in even high-intensity conflicts. Read More>>
Former Raytheon exec Steve duMont joins General Motors defense business as President
As President, duMont will lead G.M. to support defense and government customers through its manufacturing, design, and engineering capabilities and commercial offerings. Read More>>
William Mansfield elected as Triumph Group’s Lead Independent Director
William Mansfield will replace Ralph Eberhart. Mansfield has been serving on its board since November 2012, and he chaired the audit committee for three years from July 2015 and the compensation and management development committee from July 2018 to the same month in 2020. Read More>>
CAE announces the appointment of Mary Lou Maher to CAE’s Board of Directors
Mary Lou Maher was Canadian Managing Partner, Quality and Risk for KPMG Canada and Global Head of Inclusion and Diversity for KPMG International from 2017 to February 2021. Over her 38 years at KPMG, she has held various executive and governance roles, including Chief Financial Officer and Chief Human Resources Officer. Read More>>
Honeywell names its President for Turkey and Central Asia
Honeywell appointed Uygar Doyuran as President of high-growth regions, Turkey & Central Asia. Doyuran brings strong sectoral knowledge and experience in industrial IoT, Artificial Intelligence, cloud technologies, cybersecurity, analytics, and data science to Honeywell’s regional business. Read More>>
Airbus names new Southeast Asia head
Airbus has named Chris Drewer as senior V.P. for Airbus commercial aircraft in Southeast Asia. Drewer joined Airbus in November 2020 from G.E. Aviation. Read More>>
Center setup and expansion
BAE Systems to open Iowa facility for mission-critical GPS work
BAE Systems is investing more than USD 100 Mn to build a state-of-the-art facility in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, expected to complete in 2022. The facility will support the company’s newly acquired Navigation & Sensor Systems business, making mission-critical military GPS products. Read More>>
Here’s what’s new on our Sales Intelligence Platform
Expanded Sales Financials Data
- Introducing Statements, Earnings Call Transcripts, and Ratio sections in the Financials section.