Understanding the Boston Healthcare Ecosystem
AI is the driving force behind the industry’s digital transformation
Draup is performing an in-depth analysis of the Digital Healthcare ecosystem in Boston along with inputs from primary interviews with Boston-based stakeholders from across the healthcare ecosystem. Boston has always been the pioneer of the healthcare industry, and with the advent of new age technologies like AI, IoT, Cloud, and Robotics, it is on the road to becoming the leader in digital healthcare as well. Artificial Intelligence is the major technology that is reshaping the healthcare industry in Boston.
A bundle of socio-economic factors like government support, leniency in FDA approvals and strong academia along with technological advancements in the form of mature AI algorithms and more open source platforms are seen as major factors driving the adoption of digital use-cases across the healthcare ecosystem.
We have identified five major players in Boston that are leveraging this along with Artificial Intelligence to develop solutions in niche healthcare segments.
- Universities: They are working toward early diagnosis and treatment of chronic diseases like Cancer and other neurodegenerative disorders.
- Tech Giants: They are leveraging their AI/ML capabilities to develop off-the-shelf platforms to collect, analyze, and transform data from different medical devices and overcome the challenge of interoperability.
- G500 Companies: Boston is home to 19 G500 medical devices companies. Technology giants are collaborating with these companies to leverage their healthcare capabilities to develop AI-based solutions.
- Start-ups: Start-ups in Boston are working on data-based platforms and traditional healthcare sub-verticals to develop solutions like remote monitoring and predictive analytics.
- Research Institutions: Boston has a number of internationally acclaimed research institutions solving healthcare problems like chronic disease prevention, aging, cancer, and drug development.
You can access the reports in Braindesk that have comprehensively outlined digital advancements in the healthcare ecosystem.
At Draup, we're constantly tracking emerging trends and markets to help you spot the next big opportunity. We're periodically updating our Insights section to track the general progression of industry trends and help you decide what avenues to explore.
Between 2010-15, auto OEMs were reluctant to delve into the ‘Ride-Sharing Revolution’ though they were largely positive about the segment. Uber’s successes in this period forced OEMs to make their own entrance and as a result, the noise around this sector grew significantly post Uber attaining its Unicorn status. Lately, ride-sharing has entered a period of quiet period of consolidation with mergers and partnerships being brokered by the likes of Softbank and other major players.
Geographical Analysis of Global Unicorn Hubs
It’s no surprise that the Bay Area is home to half of the world’s Unicorns. The Bay Area has a mature start-up ecosystem that is focused on technology innovations which has made it a breeding ground for Unicorns. The area also has significant financing options from institutional investors.
China has a mature start-up ecosystem and is producing Unicorns at a rapid rate. DiDi Chuxing and Xiaomi are some examples of well-funded Unicorns. Israel and the UK have a strong start-up ecosystem with a focus on new age technologies while Western Europe has a focus on mechanical and embedded engineering infrastructure.
Keep checking back for periodic updates that cover a variety of companies, verticals, technologies, and markets.
The key ethos of Draup is to make all decisions with a ‘Customer First’ mindset. At the Draup R&D teams, we want to be working on the features that can solve our customer’s most pressing problems. So, if you have a feature idea or data request in mind, we’d love to hear from you! Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to reach out to Hardik Tiwari email@example.com
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive the latest research and insights from Draup.